We take our user's privacy very seriously and will never, ever expose any personal details. All personal indentifiable information on these questions here are carefully removed and published only after getting permission from user.

Dropped a year at engineering college due to illness, not allowed to pursue B.Sc.

Asked by Male, 17, Single
Hi...I'm from tamilnadu...I completed my hsc last year with a good mark..that mark makes my parents thought that I can be a engineer..and so by their compulsion I joined engineering.. The main problem is I left my hometown and entered a Clg in chennai... There I faced lot of troubles and become sick..managed 2months there then I can't stay there and recently returned native..dropped my degree program.. My parents only permit me to come back now they feel bad for wasting 1year fee..they hated me..I was in idea of joining bsc.CS next year but they scolded me with words that killed me..I have no idea what to do...no one to see my tears..
Thumb 70
Madhuri Mohan
Counselling Psychologist

Hi there, I can understand your feelings, your parents are the most important part of your life and you feel like you have let them down whenever they scold you. You are feeling sad and depressed. first, let me tell you that you did not do anything wrong, adjusting to a new environment can be challenging and not everyone can do it. Also, you were not interested in engineering and it is alway better for you to pursue something that you are interested in. You need hep in two things. First, you need to working on your relationship with your parents as that will help you cope with the guilt and sadness you are currently feeling. Second, you need to figure out which career is best suited for you and which course you have to do. So lets take this one step at a time. We can focus on making you feel good and mend the relationship with your parents first. In order to do that I want you to first write down all the things you wish you could tell your parents about how you are feeling currently, It can be as tiny as wanting your parents to hug you. Ocne you have done that, I want you to send me a message about what you wrote and we can discuss it further. You can send me a private message by clicking on my profile. Look ofrward to hearing from you. Until then stay strong and don't give up. :) 

Speak with a Relationship Counselor today
  • Anonymous and Convenient. Free Trial Available.
  • Send Unlimited Messages to your dedicated Counselor.
  • Book a Phone Session