We take our user's privacy very seriously and will never, ever expose any personal details. All personal indentifiable information on these questions here are carefully removed and published only after getting permission from user.

Husband has affair and has filed for divorce, how can I stop this?

Asked by Female, 37, Married
We are married for 10 yrs with 2 kids and now my husband has filed a divorce for Act of cruelty stating I am abusive, disrespectful and dominating which has mentally affected him. However the fact is he has an affair, needs space, freedom and alcoholic which he is not ready to accept and move on. How can I stop this legal proceeding and get him back?
Thumb 341
Kiran Lakhani
Counselling Psychologist


Thank you for writing in to us. Happy to help.

I read your query and really appreciate you taking help in difficult times like this.

I understand you are going through a troubled time due to your husband. When you say that you want to get back with your husband who is alcoholic and has a relationship with another girl, I wonder what can be the reason you want such a person in your life?

Please elaborate on the reasons (pros and cons) of being with your husband. Also, try and think of the impact of divorce on your life (pros and cons).

Answering the above questions will help you get clarity as to what is it that you want in your life and how do you want to lead your life. Once you get answer to these questions we can then take up your query about "how can you stop this."

Speak with a Relationship Counselor today
  • Anonymous and Convenient. Free Trial Available.
  • Send Unlimited Messages to your dedicated Counselor.
  • Book a Phone Session